How to create a “Flashcard” exercise
Smartest offers you different templates so you can find the perfect one for your study materials. Let’s see how to create a flashcard exercise.
What is a flashcard exercise?
Flashcards contain information on two sides. You often use flashcards to learn vocabulary, definitions or formulas. Flashcards can be used for every topic that can be learned via a question-and-answer format.
How to create a flashcard exercise step by step:
With Smartest, you have two ways to create flashcards. You can either upload a text document and automatically create a vocabulary list in four different languages (English, German, French and Spanish). You can also upload a list of vocabulary or definitions and manually create flashcards. The first two steps are the same no matter what kind of document you upload.
1. Choose the "Flashcard" template
Click on “Create new exercise” and then on the “Flashcard” template
2. Upload a source
A window opens up where you can upload a source. Here you have four different options on how to upload your study materials:
- My sources: Upload an existing source
- Upload source: Upload a new source from your computer
- Upload via QR code: Upload a new source via your smartphone. You can simply scan the QR code with your smartphone and then you can select a source from your phone or take a picture.
- Free text: You can also upload text manually. Simply write or paste the text that you want to upload into the field.
3a. When you upload a text document
When you upload a text document our software can automatically recognise the words in your document and can create flashcards from those. This option is convenient if you don’t have a set list of vocabulary that you need to learn but you want to learn words from a text that you have just read.
- Text Selection: Select the part of the text that you want to transform into flashcards. You want to transform the whole text? You don’t have to do anything here.
- Choose a magic button: You can choose between four different languages (English, German, French and Spanish) for your flashcards. By clicking on the magic button it will automatically create flashcards.
3b. When you upload a list
Do you have a set list of vocabulary or definitions that you have to learn? This variant is the one for you. Upload your list as explained in point 2.
- Add row: On the right side, add as many rows as flashcards you want to create.
- Manually select your words: With the Text selection button select the words on the left side that you want to drag onto your flashcards. By simply dragging and dropping them to the right place you can create your flashcards.
4. Name your exercise
This one is quite obvious, but don’t forget to name your exercise so you can find it again at a later point.
5. Add instructions
If your exercise needs instructions, you can add your instructions here. Tell everyone who will be doing this exercise on what they should focus and what the purpose of this exercise is.
6. Preview your exercise
Once you are happy with your exercise, click on the preview button to see how it looks. The preview opens in a new window so you can still make changes in the editing mode.
7. Save your exercise
Don’t forget to save your exercise once you are happy about it. When you click “save” you will automatically come to your “All my exercises” page where you can start studying.
And this is how you can create a grammar exercise in under 10 steps! We hope that this tutorial will help you to create your flashcard exercises.